Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher. ~ OPRAH


In this day and time, we all are in search of something. Knowing what that something is may not be clear, but the ache sensation inside us is real. We can feel it. My hope in writing this blog is not only to benefit me but for you as well. For me, it provides me a sort of therapy. I can get my thoughts and feelings out there, knowing that someone can understand. It’s for you because I truly believe we follow certain paths. A path that has brought you to this very site. Whether what I have to say is meant for you to read personally or for you to share with someone else that may need it. I believe that we all are connected by one commonality. We all want to be seen. We all want to heard. We all want to know we matter. Well my Friend, I see you, I hear you and you do matter.


Sunday, June 5, 2011

Eating vegetarian can be so YUM-O!!!

Coming off of a great weekend with my mom, I thought I would take a few minutes and post a few YUM-O recipes that we had. My mom is a pescatarian like me but for different reasons. I was strictly vegetarian for over a year but have recently become pescatarian when I did that detox cleanse last month. My last doctors visit, she instructed me that I had no choice but to start eating meat again. I told her that I couldn't do that so she said that I had to at least start eating fish again. I wasn't getting no where near enough protein and I had to make revisions in my diet to compensate that. I read a book called Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. It left such an impression on me that I gave up meat at that moment. As much as I hate the fact that I am eating fish again, at this point there isn't much I can do. But I am going to attempt the true vegetarian lifestyle again in the future. At the end of the day my health has to be more important.
For those who are either already vegetarian, on the verge of making the transition to it or are curious and might be swayed, I strongly recommend reading Eating Animals.

www.eatinganimals.com
Ok, a plug for vegetarians...check! YAY Vegetarians!!

Now on to a couple delish recipes!! Even if you are meat eaters you will love these!! I promise!!

Roasted Portebello Stacks - 2 servings
4 portobello mushrooms
1 roasted red pepper, sliced in strips
1 mini eggplant
1 small onion, sliced, you only need 1 slice for each mushroom
goat cheese
olive oil
thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
Clean and de-gill mushrooms. Cut out stem. Slice veggies. I like mine really thin but its up to you. Toss oil and thyme with veggies. Line on parchment paper. Roast 30 minutes, turning half way thru. Once roasted to your liking began stacking. First place a portobello on plate, then eggplant, onion, goat cheese and red peppers. Season with salt and pepper of you like.
Trust me, so yummy! My mouth is watering right now!

Spinach & Pea Salad
Lg container of baby spinach
1 pkg sugar snap peas
1 pkg frozen peas, cooked and cooled, about 1 cup, but more if you like
light ricotta cheese
mint, chopped, a few sprigs
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
Mix oil, lemon juice honey and salt together. Assemble rest of salad and pour dressing over top. Add a few dollops of ricotta cheese on top and serve.
Again, so tasty! Yup...mouth watering again!

Aside from my own personal beliefs about eating meat verses not, ensuring that you add as many veggies to your diet is so crucial to a healthy lifestyle.

I tip my hat to the chef. I know these recipes are pretty simple and straight forward but there is something about moms and when they cook it always tastes better. My mom is so great with finding new and mouthwatering recipes to try out.
She takes such good care of me! I'm lucky to have her support. We actually had a bonding moment a few weeks ago when I went down to the Falls to visit her for a mother daughter weekend. I have always prided myself on how open our relationship is but there were things that I was uncomfortable to tell her. My weight was the main one. Because of my utter shame in it, I didn't think that I could tell anyone. But after the last month or so and losing **17 lbs** now ( gained a few lbs back after the detox but lost those plus another one) I was feeling even more optimistic and a little more positive so we were chatting and I tearfully opened up and told her what my highest weight was. I of course broke down in tears and could feel a lump in my throat, and without skipping a beat she came over and took my hands and I told her. Baby steps. Telling someone how much you weight may not be a big deal for some people, but for others whose weight has controlled their lives for so many years it can be one of the hardest things to utter from your mouth. I am so thankful to have the love and support from her who gives me inspiration, unconditional love and never ending motivation along this my new journey. Love you lots Mama Bear!!

So, great food plus an awesome weekend equals a tired girl on a Sunday night!

Thanks for tuning in guys. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Misty
xo

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...will try these. I was a veg for 14 years and have wanted to return, but am finding it hard with the three boys and Bran. Must...find...willpower. I only really eat chicken and fish anyway, so it shouldn't be THAT hard...I just don't want to turn into a french fry vegetarian again... ;p

    ReplyDelete